Babka: chocolate, cinnamon, neither, or both?

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
2012/06/10 10:19:06 (permalink)

Babka: chocolate, cinnamon, neither, or both?

I never heard of this stuff until my sister sent me a care package, which included TWO loaves of babka from Green's Bakery in Brooklyn, one of chocolate, and one of cinnamon. And now I can't get enough!

If you don't know, babka is a yeasty cakey loaf, somewhere between bread and cake, like a sweeter and moister coffee cake. It is just LOADED with swirls of either cinnamon or chocolate, so it is about 50/50 bread and filling. Babka is VERY dense, very filling, intensely flavorful, and really, really awesomely good. It is also very rich; one slice of babka is plenty, no matter how good! 

According to Serious Eats, most babka sold in the US is made at Green's; Katz' Deli and Russ & Daughters (and many others) remove the bags from Green's and replace them with their own packaging. "The folks at Green's don't seem to care though. As long as they're spreading the babka love, they're pretty happy people."

Although most people prefer chocolate, I think I have a slight preference for the cinnamon. I'm not sure why; when I'm eating the chocolate, I think it is the best thing ever, and when I'm eating the cinnamon, I think THAT is the best thing ever. But all said, for me, it's the cinnamon.

post edited by Mosca - 2012/06/10 10:20:14

7 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1