The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle Sun, 11/25/12 4:03 PM (permalink)
Last week Trudy and I drove to Seattle to see the King Tut exhibit at the Pacific Science Center and eat at a variety of Roadfood places, most of which were places reviewed in the Sterns's most excellent book  "500 Places to eat Before It"s too Late" An enjoyable weekend.
        Our day started off as so many of our Seattle trips do with a stop at Burgerville here in Portland. Burgerville is a local Portland area chain with a commitment to locally produced eggs, meat, fish,and produce. Their breakfast sandwiches feature locally produced free range eggs, sausage and tillamook cheese as well as excellent coffee. I love to start the three hour drive  north with a coffee and breakfast stop.
     The weather, as has been the case with our last few trips was awful. Very wet, misty fog, low visibility. it was an intense drive. We arrived in Seattle and our first stop was at the 500 things reviewed El Diablo expresso shop in the Queen Anne neighborhood. To reach the neighborhood you had to drive straight up a hillside from the Seattle center area. The spot is a Cuban Coffee shop with much better food than I had anticipated. The interior is filled with airy and light Carribbean colors of yellow and green  and Miro like animals and birds. The Cuban coffee with strong expresso and sugar was a treat but the veggie empanada and maple pecan pie were great fortification for the Tut exhibit to come.
     Parking was expensive and a bit hard to find and the walk through the rain a bone chilling experience. The museum had timed the entries and it was not a very long wait until we got inside the exhibit. A history of the Egyptian royal dynasties with monumental art, displays of exquisite funerary jewerly, an earring the size of a baseball, the Royal throne of Tut and his bed were among the highlights of the exhibit. Most interesting to me were exhibits of the man who supervised contraction of various royal monuments with stylized portraits from various phases of his life. it was the first exhibit I'd ever seen of art that was not about the priestly, courtier or royal classes. Lots of religious art was available as well. Exhibits were crowded but you could see everything you wanted to see very easily. The exhibition catalogue was on sale for half price because member tickets were on sale for a dirt cheap price that weekend and the museum wished to reward its members.  The art and history were stunning and well worth a visit.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com