The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Stage Deli Closes after 75 years...

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
Stage Deli Closes after 75 years... Tue, 12/4/12 5:52 PM (permalink)
Carnegie Deli owns their building, Stage did not:

http://www.nytimes.com/20...-a-restaurant-war.html

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
    Re:Stage Deli Closes after 75 years... Tue, 12/4/12 6:18 PM (permalink)
    Rumor has it, what really made the Stage famous was the two residents in the apartment above it.  Any guesses???

Whitey Ford and Micky Mantle.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Stage Deli Closes after 75 years... Tue, 12/4/12 8:07 PM (permalink)
      Katz's also owns their building.  2nd Avenue Deli did not.  I see a pattern here.  

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
        Re:Stage Deli Closes after 75 years... Wed, 12/5/12 9:24 AM (permalink)
        We stopped going there (as well as Carnegie & Maxie's) many years ago.  While the quality was no doubt excellent, we found even splitting their sandwiches extreme.  Great for the obese and for those interested in take-home bags, but not practical for the tourist.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Stage Deli Closes after 75 years... Wed, 12/5/12 9:44 AM (permalink)
          I think its a demographics issue. As a native New Yorker I can vouch for that.

As much as I love a good Jewish Deli, the locals simply don't go anymore and haven't for quite some time (its not really a lifestyle or health issue too, since most New Yorkers would never turn down a good juicy burger or slice of pizza) the older folks who used to appreciate and frequent the delis   have died out.

Most of the Food Network shows now concentrate on all the wonderful Asian, Carribean, Latin American and West African restaurants which is now considered local and regional, so therefore the tourists are now filling up these restaurants.

It's very unfortunate but it's a reality.

<message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 12/5/12 9:52 AM>

Pigiron

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:Stage Deli Closes after 75 years... Wed, 12/5/12 10:54 AM (permalink)
            wanderingjew

As much as I love a good Jewish Deli, the locals simply don't go anymore and haven't for quite some time (its not really a lifestyle or health issue too, since most New Yorkers would never turn down a good juicy burger or slice of pizza) the older folks who used to appreciate and frequent the delis   have died out.

Most of the Food Network shows now concentrate on all the wonderful Asian, Carribean, Latin American and West African restaurants which is now considered local and regional, so therefore the tourists are now filling up these restaurants.

Yes, that, but also, the food sucked.  

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Stage Deli Closes after 75 years... Wed, 12/5/12 11:11 AM (permalink)
              Pigiron

wanderingjew

Unfortunately I never made it to The Stage Deli,when ever I was in that part of midtown and in the mood for a deli, I would hit up The Carnegie.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                Re:Stage Deli Closes after 75 years... Wed, 12/5/12 11:28 AM (permalink)
                I have to agree with mjambro.  I love authentic Jewish Deli food, but, most are not the type of place where you can stop in on your own for a meal.  The Stage, Harold's, etc. are more like a destination, a tourist attraction, instead of a restaurant.  

I have never been to Katz's, but their sandwiches look manageable for a single person.

Tony Bad

Re:Stage Deli Closes after 75 years... Wed, 12/5/12 11:38 AM (permalink)
                  Pigiron

wanderingjew

Ding! and we have a winner!!

Pigiron

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Stage Deli Closes after 75 years... Wed, 12/5/12 12:00 PM (permalink)
                    joerogo

I have never been to Katz's, but their sandwiches look manageable for a single person. 

Katz's is a must-visit destination for any food lover.  Their hand-cut pastrami is the best in the world.  

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com