George's Steak House (Appleton WI)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5215
2013/02/05 11:05:50 (permalink)

George's Steak House (Appleton WI)

First, thanks to Wintahaba for mentioning George's in a different thread.

Awhile back I was up in the Fox Valley on a Friday and since I was going to be in the Appleton area around lunch I decided to check out George's Steak House.  It's been around since the 1930s (and was a roadhouse/tavern prior to that) and is consistently popular in the area.

George's is dark inside.  Dark as in "I can't see a darn thing" when you first go in and "Is this a nuclear test site?!?" when you go back outside. 

The piano bar was deserted at 1:30pm.

Since I had steak on my mind I was hoping for French onion soup but it wasn't on the menu, so I chose the clam chowder instead.  It was thinner than others I've had but the flavor was very good and it had plenty of clam pieces.

Baked potatoes are a dinner item for me and I didn't feel like having french fries, so American fries won.  They were nicely done and not greasy.

It was a tough call between the ribeye and the top sirloin so in the end I opted to save a couple of dollars and went with the sirloin.  George's adds the traditional touch of butter to the steaks, too.

I like my beef rare and George's didn't disappoint me.  The sirloin had a nice beef flavor and the expected in-between texture that I expect, and the meat juices were perfect on the potatoes as well.

And not only was the food very good but the bill was quite palatable as well: $21 out the door, including tip!
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/02/08 08:31:09

6 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1