Sammy's Pizza (Green Bay WI)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5215
2013/02/05 13:53:45 (permalink)

Sammy's Pizza (Green Bay WI)

I had a few hours to kill on Friday afternoon during my recent trip to the Fox Valley so I checked in with our Green Bay store to see if any of my coworkers had some ideas.  I've been wanting to visit Al's Hamburger Shop for some time but knowing that I'd be eating beef at George's in Appleton had me thinking that something else might be attractive...enter Sammy's Pizza, a family-run Green Bay fixture since 1958.  A couple of people told me that the pizza's pretty good and one of them has strong childhood memories of Sammy's so it was an easy choice.

Thin crust is the only option at Sammy's and the pizza comes cut tavern-style; we ordered ours with sausage and a double topping of fresh mushrooms (canned are also available).  Having eaten a substantial lunch only a few hours before I was expecting to eat only 2 or 3 pieces but this was a good pizza and I went through 6 or 7 before calling it quits.  The thin crust had a nice crispness but what really worked for me was the homemade sausage, and the sauce (also homemade) had good flavor without being too sweet.  The one thing I did notice was that the pizza was kind of "wet" but I'm going to attribute at least some of that to the moisture that came out of the mushrooms as they cooked, and it wasn't really a drawback.

To me Sammy's is a good example of a Midwestern pizza and I'd gladly eat there again.

5 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1