Pre-cooking potatoes

Author
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 994
2013/04/01 14:06:22 (permalink)

Pre-cooking potatoes

We're doing a pot luck breakfast at work this week, and one of the things I'm going to be making are home fries. When I make them at home, I par-boil the potatoes, then put them directly into the frying pan. I won't have the time or inclination at the office to par-boil 5 pounds of potatoes and then immediately fry them up (we have a stove/oven in our kitchen), so I'm thinking of doing it at home the night before, and just frying smaller portions as they get eaten up the next morning. Frying them from raw form will take too long in the morning, hence my desire to par-boil.
My quandary is, how am I going to keep the potatoes from falling apart or turning brown overnight? If I par-boil them, then cool them off quickly with cold water, do I leave them in the cold water all night, or will that make them fall apart? If I drain the water, will they turn brown in the fridge? If I just cut the potatoes up and soak them in cold water all night, will that soften them a little so I won't need to par-boil them?
It's probably a simple answer, I just don't know it, and again, don't have the time or inclination to experiment to find out which way is going to work best. Any input is appreciated!

13 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1