Unilever Rides Again w/ Breyers Frozen Dairy Dessert née Ice Cream

Author
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
2013/04/30 18:44:40 (permalink)

Unilever Rides Again w/ Breyers Frozen Dairy Dessert née Ice Cream

The other night I had a jones for Butter Pecan ice cream. With welfare-state pricing of mass market ice creams at supermarkets these days, I buy the brand on sale. Breyers was on sale. So I grab a 1 1/2 quart (shrunk from half gallon) container of Breyers. I note that a lot of the fine print on the container is now over a photograph, rather than over a solid color background. So I get suspicious. Can't find the words Ice Cream. Uh-oh. But I do spot the words Frozen Dairy Dessert. Unilever strikes again.

For years, Breyers brought out a bewildering array of ice creams to appeal to the weight watchers. Low Fat, No Fat, CarbSmart, etc. Maybe even Ice Milk back in the day. But except for some flavors with no solid mix-ins, such as natural vanilla and coffee, the Breyers classic flavor containers now read Frozen Dairy Dessert instead of Ice Cream. Unless you go to Unilever's Ben & Jerry brand, you can't buy full-strength Butter Pecan ice cream from them anymore in a supermarket (haven't checked out their foodservice range yet, however). Hark back to the days before Haagen Daz when cheap ice cream was made with muck such as butterfat that left the roof of your mouth greasy. They obviously are doing this to reduce the cost of producing the product. And they hope people will not notice by placing labels over a photograph to make it hard to read.

Growing up, most of the mom-and-pop candy stores/soda fountains near our house used Breyers Ice Cream. The hand-dipped cones were wonderful on a hot summers day before we got air conditioning. I consider it offensive they cheapened the product to the extent federal labeling laws won't let them call it ice cream anymore.

I haven't caught any other majors pulling this stunt with 1 1/2 quart containers of ice cream. I wound up buying Turkey Hill. But I wonder if this will force other mass market brands to also remove the cream, similar to how Nestle's Dreyers/Edys ended the half gallon of ice cream and shrunk the size to the present 1 1/2 quarts. Most other makers followed suit.

8 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1