Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
2013/05/02 19:34:07 (permalink)

Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle

Before I begin.....
This is my first real trip report in 8 months....First of all I want to thank all of you who have sent me PM's insisting I carry on....I know most of the time I think my trip reports go ignored and I appreciate your compliments and encouragement....You all know who you are.....

I always had a love/hate relationship with Seattle. Some of you know I lived in Seattle beginning in 1992, through early 1996......Seattle was a very tough time in my life. I would even venture to say.... traumatic.....Although I think it's a wonderful place to visit, I couldn't have been any happier when I left... Although this was my third visit back, having visited in 1998 and again in 2007, this was the first time I took a very introspective position with my visit.....

Since I lived there before the internet, I couldn't do the real hard research I could have done before moving there.....  I didn't know what the "Seattle Freeze" was ,when I looked it up years later...all  could say is, "wow, did  I experience that when I lived there".... As a single guy, I also had my suspicions about the very skewered male/female ratio, once again years later I discovered with a 60/40 ratio of guys to girls in my age group at that time in the early 1990's I realized  that I surmised correctly.

Anyway...on with the food.....This was an extended weekend trip, and I'm going to break it up by day....

Thursday April 25

I began my day early before 6am to ensure that I got out of work early enough to catch my 5pm flight out of Providence...... since my flight arrived about 10 minutes late in Chicago, with what is now merely a 35 minute layover, I had no time to catch a bite to eat before changing planes...I arrived in Seattle at around 9:30 pm, it was after midnight eastern time and without any dinner, I was starving...By the time I got my rental it was after 10pm, thankfully my first (and only stop) of the evening was less than 2 miles away....

13 Coins in Sea Tac.  Although original location is in Seattle, I was way too tired to head out there....Going to the one near the airport made perfect sense... Even though I spent over 3 years living in Seattle I never made it to 13 Coins... If I recall my coworkers kept telling me "that's where all the strange characters go"
Anyway....13 Coins had a very old school, clubby lounge like atmosphere with high backed chairs......

My meal begain with complimentary antipasto 

and crusty sourdough

(which I already ripped a hunk off of prior to taking this photo)

Since I'm back in the territory, I can never pass up an opportunity to enjoy a fine brew...

This is a Manny's Pale Ale....A little hoppier than most pale ales....All it took was one quaff...and it was a symbolic "welcome back to the Pacific Northwest.

With a little help after texting Buffetbuster earlier in the evening...I knew what I was getting...

This magnificent Crab Louis.....loaded with romaine, tomato, egg, artichoke, creamy Louis dressing and a generous helping of  fresh dungeness crab.... I was actually to full to finish it....Although I made sure I ate every last bite of dungeness crab.....

After my meal it was now almost 2 AM eastern time.... Although I would be staying with my friend Alan, the rest of the trip in Seattle, I deliberately stayed at a hotel that night just to get some sleep....After a 20 minute drive to my hotel in Bellevue.... I was completely exhausted and was looking forward to a sound sleep....

I will continue early next week with the next chapter.

120 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1