California, Here We Come!

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10513
2013/05/06 08:42:37 (permalink)

California, Here We Come!

The best part of choosing that title for this trip report is that I can provide a link to this tv classic. 

Cousin Johnny and I recently spent our annual week vacation together, this time in Northern California.

Friday April 19, 2013

Johnny was still working on this day, but I had a 6:00AM flight from Pittsburgh direct to San Francisco.  The plane wasn't scheduled to land until 8:20AM, but arrived over a half hour early, which is always nice.  The luggage came out quickly, no line at the car rental and the breakfast destination, JoAnn's Cafe in South San Francisco was a very short drive away.  All of this would be great, except I was meeting Roadfooder Loves2Bake at JoAnn's and we weren't scheduled to meet for another hour.  To kill time, I programmed a bunch of destinations in the GPS, got out and took some photos, eventually settling on a bench outside the restaurant.  When I stood up to examine the menu on the outside door, a woman who turned out to be L2B, stuck her head out the door and asked if I was buffetbuster.  She had arrived early to grab us a booth. I felt like a dope for not checking the inside of the restaurant earlier.

JoAnn's Cafe

has not appeared in a Roadfood book since the 1992 edition.  In it, they extol JoAnn's for the buttermilk shake, omelets and muffins.  Good advice we mostly ignored during our meal.  The inside

has the feel of a comfortable diner and we sat in the very first booth nearest the door.  Which gave us a great view of those beautiful muffins

in the display case. 

Most of the reviews I see nowadays rave about the orange french toast,

which what I ordered.  It was thick, spongy and a quality way to start the trip.  We weren't really sure if that was real maple syrup that came with the dish, but I imagine if we aren't sure, it is safe to assume it wasn't.  L2B chose the migas,

which she was happy to share.  Maybe Loves2Bake can chime in with her opinion of the migas, but I thought it was fairly good, although the tortillas could have been fresher.

The best part of dining here was the company.  Loves2Bake has lots of interests, is extremely knowledgable about food and is just a very nice person.  The conversation with her was a real delight!  And she even came dressed in a pie themed shirt!  Before we left, I had one of the waiters take a photo of us. 

On the way out, L2B bought a couple of muffins to go.  She asked if I wanted any, but knowing there was a full day of eating ahead, I declined.

JoAnn's Cafe
1131 El Camino Real
South San Francisco, CA
650-872-2810

Much more to come.....         
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/05/06 08:49:29

251 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1