Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Canalfood.com & other finds

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 89 of 89
agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 11/25/13 7:24 PM (permalink)
JR, Thanks so much for continuing this report! So enjoyable!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
    Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Wed, 11/27/13 9:57 PM (permalink)
    Pics now ... report later ... in progress ... I think I'm done. Caio, for now.

I didn't find any worthwhile pictures of the Coliseum or Vatican from our day in Rome. The Trevi Fountain was spectacular, jammed in between Italian shoes and gelato stores. Pie Diva and I had this view of the sculpture as we tossed our coins in the fountain while licking our gelato.

I have no idea what was going on here, but the gentleman on the left was getting pretty emotional while chatting with the Polizia.

The cruise-line brought tour-group after tour-group to Papa Rex, which was located at the edge of Vatican City. Our group was waiting for the previous group to leave before we were seated.

We were told that this is a typical Italian lunch, pasta ...

Followed by salad, meat and potatoes.

And wine, don't forget the wine.

Trevi Fountain.

<message edited by JRPfeff on Wed, 11/27/13 10:42 PM>

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3591
      Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Wed, 11/27/13 10:06 PM (permalink)
      Great report, JRPheff. My kind of traveling! I just got back last week from a Hawaiian cruise and in October, a Panama Canal cruise. It really is a great way to see a lot of places and if you've got the right attitude, which you and Pie Diva obviously have, it's a great way to eat some fabulous food on the shore days. I like your style!

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Wed, 11/27/13 10:15 PM (permalink)
        Ed - Pie Diva got us a fabulous deal on the Mediterranean cruise. The airfare hurt a bit, but it was definitely worth it to us. I really want to take a cruise of the Panama Canal.
        Jim

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Wed, 11/27/13 11:04 PM (permalink)
          Game over. Tell it to the judge.

EdSails

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 11/28/13 12:51 AM (permalink)
            Jim, I got an incredible deal on my Canal cruise. PM me and I'll give you some info about it.

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 11/28/13 7:22 PM (permalink)
              Milwaukee Vespa.

Sundancer7

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Fri, 11/29/13 4:52 AM (permalink)
                I was in Rome a few years ago.  Really enjoyed getting a beer and sitting outdoors watching people and the thousands of motor scooters and beat up cars travel outside.  People watching in Rome is double outstanding.

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Fri, 12/6/13 6:56 PM (permalink)

This is the famous Woo Pig Sooie! Il Porcellino statue by Baroque master Pietro Tacca in Florence. It is said that if you put a coin in the boar's mouth and let it drop into the fountain you will have good luck and by rubbing the snout you ensure your return to Florence. The first part worked after doing this, but I am still waiting for my return to Florence.

After viewing several other sculptures, we arrived at the market area of Florence. Florence is famous for its leather goods which seems to attract women like beer attracts men. The leather really was beautiful and was actually reasonably priced. Pie Diva got lucky, too.

We were told by our tour guide that we would have lunch at this restaurant at 1:00, but we could shop until then. She explained the meal and it sounded very similar to the lunch in Rome.

We heard from a previous tour guide that public restrooms are not typically available in Europe, but if you make a small purchase you may use the toilet. With that (and our meal from Rome) in mind, we stopped at this deli for a break.

Pie Diva had a tea and I had a cappuccino. This was not only the best cappuccino I've ever had, but also the best coffee beverage I have ever had in my life. It was just fantastic. 

We arrived at the restaurant at 1:00, and waited, and waited, and waited, for the pair of constantly tardy women in our group. We were finally seated before they returned. Lunch was virtually identical to our lunch in Rome.

The tardy women arrived 20 minutes late. I told them they owed each of us a Euro for each minute they were late. They didn't pay.

Our next stop was Pisa. The tower looks straight to me in this picture. 

Not so straight in this shot, but my camera might be crooked.

After visiting the tower, we were told to return to a designated spot to catch our return bus to the ship. Something must have finally sunk in, because the tardy ladies were on time for the first time on our tour.
                  <message edited by JRPfeff on Sat, 12/7/13 10:06 AM>

EdSails

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Fri, 12/6/13 7:15 PM (permalink)
                    As many times as I have seen photos of the leaning tower of Pisa, I am still fascinated by it. Must have been a great thing to see in person.Great shot!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
                      Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Fri, 12/6/13 7:19 PM (permalink)
                      An Arkansas razorback in Rome?

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                        Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Fri, 12/6/13 8:13 PM (permalink)
                        Lovely!  Great pics and report.

Envious

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Fri, 12/6/13 8:57 PM (permalink)
                          EdSails

As many times as I have seen photos of the leaning tower of Pisa, I am still fascinated by it. Must have been a great thing to see in person.Great shot!

Ed,

Pie Diva and I climbed to the top of the tower.  This picture frames the nearby cathedral in one of the tower openings showing the tilt.

Jim

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sun, 12/8/13 7:10 PM (permalink)

I chose the tour on this day - a wine tasting at a chateau in the Côtes du Rhône. What may appear to be a pond in this photo is actually a field of lavender.

Name the terroir ... RIGHT! You over there on the right, this is the Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Note the small to fist-sized rocks that promote drainage and hold the day's heat throughout the night.

Châteauneuf-du-Pape means new home of the Pope in English, and our next stop was Avignon, home of the Popes from 1309 to 1423.

Typical of French cities, the outdoor dining in Avignon is popular whenever the sun is shining.

This plate du jour caught my eye and we readily found a table.

One of the gentlemen at an adjoining table was consuming one of these and we had to get one. It took a while for our waiter to figure out what we wanted, but we eventually got our Monaco. The Monaco is a cocktail combining lager, grenadine, and white soda (i.e., Sprite). Even Pie Diva, a non-beer drinker, liked this.

The plate du jour, grilled steak, salad and Freedom Fries. I felt like I was home.

We split a plate du frommage after our entrees.

Pie Diva was dying for a crepe and she finally found this place.

You can't tell by looking at it, but there's Nutella in the crepe.

<message edited by JRPfeff on Mon, 12/23/13 11:28 AM>

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
                              Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sun, 12/8/13 7:19 PM (permalink)
                              The "Terroir" looks French.

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sun, 12/8/13 7:22 PM (permalink)
                                Fine eye Joe. Plus you stole my joke before it was posted.

joerogo

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sun, 12/8/13 8:56 PM (permalink)
                                  JRPfeff

Fine eye Joe. Plus you stole my joke before it was posted.  

Sorry!  The rocky soil in the vineyard was a dead giveaway.........for a wine nut!
                                  <message edited by joerogo on Sun, 12/8/13 9:00 PM>

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                    Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 12/23/13 9:55 AM (permalink)
                                    Pics now, verbiage later ... in progress ....

The final stop of JRPfeff's and Pie Diva's Excellent European Adventure was Barcelona. We had a full day there as we disembarked the Sunshine early Friday morning and did not fly home until late Saturday morning. Our lodging was near Gaudi's Sagrada Famalia cathedral, seen above.

This is Pie Diva's hot chocolate, or what was left of it by the time I got my camera out.

We spent most of our day strolling La Rambla and the areas nearby. A beautiful place to shop and to casually dine and snack.

On advice of irisarbor, we made sure not to miss La Boqueria. All of the food there was spectacular, although I ended up only taking pictures of the meat. Go to the link for more photographs of the market and its offerings.

We purchased a small container of jamon (ham) to share. We splurged and bought the 5 Euro package. The whole ham to the right is the Jamon Iberico de Bellota that Pancho will be enjoying for Christmas. We definitely did not get that for 5 Euros. We also bought some exotic looking fruit cups which we enjoyed after leaving La Boqueria.

For our afternoon meal we stopped at this tapas bar and sat outside in the wind. It just seems the thing to do when in Europe.

The restaurant offered white wine sangria which was very refreshing. We shared several plates of tapas, although neither of us remember much about them now. We do recall that the cheese on those potatoes could easily be served on nachos at any ballpark or stadium in the U.S. without anyone knowing the difference.

For dessert, chocolate something and a Martini ice.

That's a wrap for Barcelona. 
                                    <message edited by JRPfeff on Mon, 12/23/13 11:20 AM>

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                                      Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 12/23/13 10:19 AM (permalink)
                                      Nice, Jim! My wife leaves for Barcelona/Sans Sebastian this Thursday. She toured the Sagrada Familia last time and we are having some jamon iberico de bellota for Christmas appetizers! Thanks for the wonderful pictorial and report.

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 12/23/13 10:40 AM (permalink)
                                        Pancho - Hopefully, you are enjoying the good stuff.

Because we weren't with a tour, Barcelona was one of the few places on our trip where our lack of speaking the native language was an inconvenience. Your wife knows the right time of year to get out of Wisconsin.

Thank you for the kind feedback.

Jim

Pancho

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 12/23/13 10:49 AM (permalink)
                                          For sure we are eating the "good stuff". Bellota means acorn in Catalan and that is supposedly all the pigs eat. Her last trip she said it was almost $100 a pound! We are having the remainder for Christmas. Agreed about the language. She is visiting our daughter who lives and teaches there. She is obviously fluent and a great tour guide.
                                          <message edited by Pancho on Mon, 12/23/13 10:52 AM>

joerogo

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 12/23/13 11:30 AM (permalink)
                                            A good article from Wine Spectator on Spanish Ham.

Last time I looked into it, Italian Hams were raised and butchered in Germany, then cured in Italy.  Big difference between the hams you get in Italy compared to what is available in the US.

Pancho

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 12/23/13 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                              joerogo

A good article from Wine Spectator on Spanish Ham.

Last time I looked into it, Italian Hams were raised and butchered in Germany, then cured in Italy.  Big difference between the hams you get in Italy compared to what is available in the US.
                                              Good, informative article. However, you can now get Iberico ham from Spain (USDA approved) online. BUT, a 2.5 oz. package runs anywhere from $25-$40 US! As I mentioned, the Iberico Bellotta my wife brought back from Spain was $96 for the pound. It is unlike any ham I've ever had...you can almost taste the woody flavor of the acorns that they eat. I love it wrapped around a chunk of melon.
                                              https://ibericoclub.com/b...3qzkxrsCFcxAMgod3SgA5A

buffetbuster

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 12/23/13 12:22 PM (permalink)
                                                Beautiful photos Jim!  I think I would have enjoyed that nutella crepe.

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 02/3/14 8:31 PM (permalink)
                                                  One last post to finish my input to this thread.

When we got home from our Mediterranean cruise on the Carnival Sunshine last May, within 2 weeks I told Pie Diva to book another cruise for us on the Sunshine.  I loved the ship, but we were so busy with our tours of Europe that I didn't think we had a full chance to enjoy the ship.

We took that cruise last week. Judging by the weather reports from home, we picked a darn good week. We enjoyed temps in the high 70's and sunny skies for most of the week. Aside from three outstanding shore excursions, we spent most of the week lounging in a cabana or in the thermal spa.

On our last night of cruising, we dined again at Cucina Del Capitano.  All day long we were thinking of the Sorbetto al Limone dessert. "Lemon Sherbet, Finished with Chocolate Twigs and Fresh Mint" doesn't sound like much, but there is more there than just that. Sharp lemon sorbet on top of a stiff vanilla cream beneath it studded with crunchy bits of meringue. Our waitress looked shocked when all four in our party ordered Sorbetto al Limone. That dessert in itself may be reason enough to book another cruise.

That photo is from our Mediterranean cruise. I don't know why I never posted it before now.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6257
                                                    Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 02/3/14 8:54 PM (permalink)
                                                    Jim,
                                                    Did you take the exact same Mediterranean cruise?  And I agree, sorbetto al limone is a darn good reason to book another cruise!

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 02/3/14 9:24 PM (permalink)
                                                      Oops. I wasn't at all clear on the itinerary Lisa. We went out of New Orleans for 7 days in the Western Caribbean.

Jim

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6257
                                                        Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 02/3/14 10:16 PM (permalink)
                                                        That works!  Better than Wisconsin in January!!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                          • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                          Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 02/3/14 11:15 PM (permalink)
                                                          Hey! Some of us can only dream! Thanks, Jim, for visions of anything but here!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                            Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 89 of 89

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com