Calzones!

Author
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 162
2013/05/25 08:31:19 (permalink)

Calzones!

I love a good pizza, but one thing I love just as much - well, maybe almost as much - is a good calzone.  (I figured this would be appropriate in the pizza forum, since pizza joints are basically the only places to get calzones.)

Until I moved here, my idea of a calzone was shaped by the Midwestern grocery store chain Hy-Vee.  They sell house-brand, prepackaged calzones.  They're decently sized, but not huge, and there's always marinara sauce on the inside.  And at the stores I went to, they were inconsistent in whether they also provided a cup of marinara for dipping.

Well, turns out I didn't know what a calzone really was, I guess.  One of the first I tried here was from a little place called Zerio's, in Cromwell.  This thing was bigger than my head:

I only specified cheese and sausage, and it came to me with sausage, ricotta, and mozzarella.  I should have cut further toward the center for this pic, to show just how thick this bastard was, but this will have to do:

Another I tried was from "Wooster St. Pizza" just down the street (Hwy 372 / Berlin Rd); I put the name in quotes because it's not a genuine Randy's Wooster Street, but apparently it used to be one before it changed ownership and they had to remove the name.  This one didn't impress me nearly as much:

There was no ricotta, and the crust didn't seem appropriate for a calzone:

I've been distracted by pizza lately, but I need to get around to trying calzones at those places as well.

Anyway.  Calzones!

post edited by Ketteract - 2013/05/25 08:37:17

16 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1