Just discovered what goetta is

Author
MissJohnnycakes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
2013/07/08 01:55:01 (permalink)

Just discovered what goetta is

Only unclear thing is whether it should be all-pork or a mix of pork and beef.

As far as I know, I have not eaten goetta, at least not any that was labeled as such. However (big however), in late May I ate a breakfast buffet in which the sausage patties were obviously hand-sliced, very dense, and had an unusually chewy crust with almost a nutty interior texture. Plenty of pork flavor rounded it out, but I remember thinking, "This thing feels like it has thick oat bits mixed in it." Not oatmeal flakes as I know it (not even the thick slow-cook kind), but oat bits. At first, I thought someone had fried them a little too long, but later on I savored the extra outer crunch and hefty interior chew. They were REALLY dense, each patty obviously weighing more than standard sausage patties of the same size. The oat bits were similar to the steel-cut oats used in a local bakery's oat bread.

Did I unknowingly eat goetta? The restaurant is in western Washington state, not Cincinnati, OH. But the photos and descriptions sure sound like that's what I had. I guess I'd better return to that place and pester the staff/cook about it!

10 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1