EdSails Celebrates and cooks a brisket for a new baby

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4042
2013/08/03 14:39:58 (permalink)

EdSails Celebrates and cooks a brisket for a new baby

Well, it turns out we have a new member in the extended family. Madelynn Grace was born yesterday (Thursday) to David and Lauren, Kathi's son and DIL. She's going home today so I decided to make a brisket, beans, and pick up sides so when they got home there would be food for all the guests coming to see the new baby.

First of all, a little glass for the cook. 

Although Hamish had his own ideas of what he wanted to drink.

Back from the market at 8PM and putting the rub on the brisket. Cayenne, coffee, pepper, sea salt, cumin, paprika and other secret ingredients.

My Traeger smoker, loaded with red oak and ready to go.

The brisket ready to go and starting to smoke.

Watching the temp on the Maverick remote thermometer. At this hour it is mesmerizing!

Four and a half hours in, at 146 degrees internal temp.

The smoker had been running at 210 degrees. Now, after 5 hours, I changed it to 225 degrees.
Gave it a little spritz of beer, worchestershire, apple juice and cider vinegar. Can't believe it's 2AM and I am still up! Hamish has passed out---why can't dogs stay up when you want them to? After the spritz....starting to get a nice color........

In the meantime, it's 2:20AM----should I really be cooking now? I'm setting the thermometer to go off at 160 degrees and taking a nap....I hope.....

Fell asleep, it's 9:14AM and the brisket temp is 187F. Going to take it off and wrap it at 200F. Took Hamish for his walk, made a cup of STRONG espresso, and started making my Texas beans in the crockpot. Bush's Baked Beans, some maple syrup and molasses, a chopped onion, a chopped red bell pepper, a yellow banana pepper to start. White pepper, cumin and chili powder too. When I pull the brisket, I will smoke 6 pieces of thick applewood bacon to add to it. Here's the brisket at 9:36AM.

Here's the beans cooking.

Brisket's now at 192F at 10:05AM. Another sunny day in SoCal. Getting close! I did get a few hours of sleep but I now understand what the BBQ Championship competitors go through. Dean Olson, my hat's off to you!

OK, now I'm getting in the mood. I turned on my Texas Blues station that I created on Pandora. Smokestack Lightning, you'd love it. I'll try and send you the link. Blind Boy Fuller playing now.

Brisket temp is 194.5 degrees. 5 degrees to go. Lightnin' Hopkins playing on the station now. Can't believe I started cooking at 9PM last night and that I'm almost done. I've got foil, towels and a cooler to wrap and keep the brisket warm. Beans are cooking. All I have left to do is make the au jus. It will just be beef broth, a little granulated garlic and onion powders---very simple but it will work to dip the fresh baked French rolls I ordered last night at the market. They called and they're ready for pick up.

Put the thick sliced applewood smoked bacon on the smoker for the beans. Mmmmm, everything goes better with bacon!

I should write a song "New Baby Brisket Blues". Catchy, huh?

I've pulled the brisket out at 196 degrees F. Looks the same as the picture above. Next post will be after it's sliced.  and 11:39AM. Off to Madelynn's homecoming!

33 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1