Quick Trip to Connecticut

Author
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 391
2013/09/02 16:41:00 (permalink)

Quick Trip to Connecticut

My wife and I visited our friends in Connecticut for the weekend. Sunday was devoted to roadfood for the most part.

There is so much good stuff to choose from in Connecticut, and I figured I'd probably only have room and time for two good meals. I decided that I wanted fried clams and a white clam pizza.

We started at Lenny and Joe's in Madison. If I hadn't already been to the Clam Shack, I'd have probably chosen to go there instead based on what I've read of the two places, which are almost right across the street from each other. But we wanted to go to places we haven't been to before (which also knocked Johnny Ad's out, since we've also been there).

I went with a fried whole belly clam and scallop plate. I took fries. My wife ordered onion rings separately and we split them both. I definitely preferred the onion rings. The clams and scallops were pretty good, but I would say my instinct that the Clam Castle was better was right. I also think the scallops at Denmo's, which we often stop at when we visit Connecticut because of how convenient to Rt. 84 it is, are decidedly better. Still, it did hit the spot and satisfied my craving for some New England fried seafood.  Once again, the salad wasn't mine!

After spending some time walking around the main stretch of Madison and browsing in a couple shops, we drove to West Haven for pizza at

They offered both freshly shucked and I assume canned clams. There was a big difference in price. But as I only get to eat pizza in the New Haven area very rarely, I wasn't skimping. I ordered a small plain pie with freshly shucked clams. We also ordered a large pie with cheese and sauce. This was top notch pizza. I had no complaints about either pie:

There wasn't a lot of sight-seeing on this trip, but we did happen across a road-side giant fairly close to where my friends live. I can't pass up a photo with a road-side giant! I was with my friends' two children:

I had initially hoped to stop at the Laurel Diner for corned beef hash on our way home Monday morning. But they were closed. We had already been to Dottie's and the Sandy Hook Diner. So we went with the Blue Colony Diner, which is just feet from exit 10 of Rt. 84.
It was pretty standard diner fair, but it hit the spot. My only complaint was the lack of real maple syrup for my pancakes. My wife had blueberry blintzes.

post edited by phlmaestro - 2013/09/02 17:23:29

21 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1