The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Adding BBQ sandwiches to your offerings

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
Adding BBQ sandwiches to your offerings Sun, 09/22/13 7:42 PM (permalink)
Disclaimers:

1)  Even though I have owned franchised fast food, I am not expert in any way in your business.  In fact, I know just enough about the food business to make me "dangerous".
2)  I have absolutely no pecuniary - or other - interest in any business/product I mention below.

----------------------------------

Elsewhere in this forum I have read about folks buying ready-made BBQ off the shelves at Costco or Sam's, then heating it and serving it.  For the most part that stuff is usually way over sauced, cloyingly sweet, and dreadfully expensive for someone trying to make a buck serving it.

The owner of this place told me that the BBQ I so enjoy there in fact comes in 5# tubs from his wholesaler.  All he does is "heat & serve" - and go to the bank!  After a bit more research I chased down the wholesaler's source.

The variety I like is the Eastern Carolina-style chopped pork.  That may not be to everyone's taste.  No problem, they have both chopped and pulled pork in your choice of the various sauces: vinegar-based, mustard-based, tomato-based sweet, & "Texas".  They also offer the same variety of choices with beef.

How do you get it?  That's up to you.  You can go to the manufacturer directly via their site or ask your jobber (Sam's Club is especially cooperative in such endeavors) to get it for you.  The latter may even be less expensive than going direct. 

I'd start by buying a small, consumer-sized retail quantity of each variety and let your customers tell you what they would like on a regular basis.  Surely this will vary by region.

If you do decide on the Carolina styl - pulled or chopped - here is the "boss sauce" to go with it.  They also sell and ship it in cases with four one-gallon jugs, but try a pint bottle first! 

I hope some of you will find this helpful.

<message edited by MetroplexJim on Mon, 09/23/13 9:16 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com