Take yourself to the WOODSHED!!!

Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4278
2013/09/30 16:18:55 (permalink)

Take yourself to the WOODSHED!!!

Tim Love, one of our DFW "celebrity chefs" has opened a barbeque place in Fort Worth: The Woodshed Smokehouse

This joint is a total home run! 

As you can note from the website - which includes a "pitcam" - even though he's a real deal chef (he beat Morimoto like a rented mule on Iron Chefwhile pausing several times for him and his crew to take tequila shots!), Love is also quite the showman as a restauranteur.

Here's the restaurant:

which is complete with a nice view of what we here in Texas call a "river":

and, of course, Valet Parking for our modern "mounts":

Our first time here the genteel Mrs. Metro used a knife and fork on her beef rib and I got to gnaw on the bone.  It was simply magnificent.  This time she went for the brisket with a side of smoked "Mexican Corn".  She rated the brisket "the best ever"; after the one bite she allowed me, I agreed:

For my part I again enjoyed the best pork ribs I have ever had, anywhere.  OMG good!  \The first time I had a smoked, loaded baked potato which was every bit as good as it sounds.  This time I had a really decent potato salad that, not surprisingly, was not as good as Mrs. Metro makes from my mother's recipe:

As a matter of fact, everything on the menu is smoked or has an element of smoke in it.  Even our dessert - Love's take on chocolate meringue pie that was so good the first time we had it again - uses 'que drippings as shortening for the crust.  On both occasions it was decadent and truly wonderful:

The Woodshed is pretty much just that - constructed largely from steel girder and wood beams framing corrugated, galvanized steel sheets.  And, it is not air conditioned!  

Would this present an issue on a 101 degree afternoon?  NO!  The interior and exterior seating areas are comfortably cooled by industrial-sized ceiling fans and water-coolers; in fact, it was far more comfortable than "standard AC".  Even the open air courtyard was well populated with diners enjoying the comfort of umbrellas, the giant, gentle fans, and misters.  Huge kudos to the architect and the HVAC engineers.  Wonderful!  The ambiance certainly augments the food experience.

And yes, one does smell smoke walking up (but only a hint of it in the airy interior); the smokehouse:

and the fuel - oak, pecan, mesquite, & hickory are used, depending on what Chef Love believes best complements each "product":

I'm not a "BBQ snob" or "expert".

That said, I do know what I like.

And I love Love's Woodshed.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/09/30 17:07:49

20 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1