Texas Hot Links

Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2423
2014/02/26 20:41:26 (permalink)

Texas Hot Links

Most of the Sausage recipes I see on line lack flavor. I don't think they use enough spices in the mix. I also like to see some heat in the sausage. This is a version of a Texas Hot Link.......
spices.....

I mixed all the spices in the meat chunks and let it blend over night in the refer.

you can see the change in color letting it blend for 24 hrs.

I ran the 4 lbs of mix through the grinder in about 4 minutes. I then got some Beer, put the mix into the mixer to make an emulsion. 

What you want is a mixture that is a bit sticky to the touch.

Now is the time for a test patty, you can adjust seasonings at this point if needed. The test patty is good, well seasoned and a nice amount of heat. I want the test patty to cook and fry in it's own fat, this tells me there is a good meat to fat ratio. As the fat mixes with the meat and spices, I want a full flavored sausage with some heat. So far, so good....

The mixture is ready to stuff into the hog casing.

These are fresh sausage, I'm not going to smoke them. I'm looking for a nice balance of flavor and heat along with good texture. Tom, This is the type of sausage I think would go over well at Chubby's. The only thing different will be adding Nitrates and smoking them in your smoker. I am going to cook a few of these over some coals tomorrow, will see what we get......

15 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1